From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Warning when installing/updating clucene
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 14:48:07
1 On 2012-09-17 10:25 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Never mind, just got a reply from the dev that he had fixed it and the next
4 >> update would contain the fix...
5 >>
6 >> I'm still curious if I should not go down that road and use something else
7 >> for FTS...
8
9 > clucene looks like the thing to use right now, unless you want to use
10 > the full Java-based Apache Lucene. I was just looking at it this
11 > morning as a possible basis for a solution to a problem of my own[1],
12 > since strigi uses it.
13
14 Thanks Michael...
15
16 Just to wrap up this thread, in case anyone is interested, because Timo
17 (dovecot author) had replied in a similar thread on the dc list that he
18 thought there was talk of merging clucene and lucene++, I queried the
19 clucene author after he replied he had fixed this issue, and here is his
20 reply:
21
22 "More or less it's true. About a year ago we started to make Lucene++ to
23 the new CLucene version, as Lucene++ (also written in C++) is a port of
24 a newer Apache Lucene version (written in Java) as the one CLucene is a
25 port of. But we did not want to simply merge them, but to adapt Lucene++
26 to the "design principles" of CLucene. E.g., Lucene++ makes heavy use of
27 shared pointers. And in CLucene we wanted to reduce this usage in favor
28 of performance. But this not finished and I cannot say when it will
29 finished. Nevertheless, the new version of CLucene (if any) will be also
30 C++ and not Java. Best regards, Veit"