From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wrong dependencies to postgresql
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 01:44:27
1 * Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > Jakub is pretty bugzilla savvy, are you sure you bugs weren't
6 > closed for valid reasons?
7
8 well, after some discussion @ gentoo-dev, it's now a little bit
9 clearer:
10
11 The bugs are not completely valid yet (but soon will be), since
12 libpq (<=8.0.8) is still buggy/incomplete (missing pg_config), so
13 some packages may still need postgresql for building (not runtime).
14 I supplied fixed ebuild to the -dev, but they told me they don't
15 see what I'm fixing ;-o
16
17 Well, this issue is actually fixed in 8.0.9 (IMHO not completely
18 stabelized yet, but soon), while introducing another, even worse at
19 the same time: libpq-8.0.9 doesn't wanna play w/ postgresql<=8.0.8,
20 but postgresql-8.0.9 wants exactly libpq-8.0.9. So there's no clean
21 way to solve this. Someone @ b.g.o suggested completely removing
22 postgres+libpq and installing afresh, but that's an absolutely
23 no-go for production systems (IMHO). Disabling deps for upgrade
24 should work, but is unclean.
25
26 My fixed ebuild should fit into the gap by adding pg_config to
27 libpq (overwriting the one from postgresql) and changing the
28 postgresql ebuild to be satisfied w/ this libpq version.
29
30 > Sometime he does jump the gun though,
31
32 Not only at me ? Some bit salving ;-)
33
34 <snip>
35
36 > Bugzilla is *the only* official channel to get bugs reported
37 > so that the developers will fix them. If you don't report your
38 > bugs, you'll just have to wait for someone else to report or
39 > the developers to "accidentally" fix the bug while working on
40 > something else.
41
42 I'll simply do it by myself. I have to maintain my own overlay
43 nevertheless. Maybe I could drop a note to -user if perhaps
44 anyone's interested in my stuff. But I had to learn filing bugs
45 and talking @ -dev are just a waste my (rare+expensive) time.
46
47 > > Lots of packages have an wrong/unnecessary dependency to
48 > > postgresql.
49 >
50 > I don't doubt it. It's generally better to depend on too much
51 > rather than too little, and once things are "working" it's hard
52 > to get someone to "fix" it and run the risk of breaking it further.
53
54 Wouldn't be such an problem w/ really cleanroom builds + tests
55 from the first place. Seems, Gentoo isn't made for that.
56
57 <snip>
58
59 > > Three cases:
60 > >
61 > > a) probably traditionally depended on the whole postgresql, maybe
62 > > since before libpq was an own package. ie. qt, dovecot, ...
63 >
64 > Have you confirmed these actually compile just against libpg?
65
66 I'm still in the process. The lack of automatic cleanroom builds
67 requires me to install an minimal jail before each build.
68 (most of my gentoo systems actually have postgresql server running)
69
70 > > b) many apps (ie. webapps like bugzilla) have postgresql as dep.,
71 > > although they do not need it to be installed. (ie. bugzilla does
72 > > not have to do anything directly w/ postgresql, since it uses
73 > > perl-DBD for database access). Of course they maybe want to
74 > > have access to some postgres database, but this obviously does
75 > > not need an local server.
76 >
77 > Are you sure this isn't bringing in postgresql to satisfy some virtual?
78
79 Which virtual should it be ? And why ?
80
81 > In all cases, you've confirmed that the dependency is direct and not
82 > USE flag controlled?
83
84 Of course, it is controlled by the postgresql useflag. But that doesn't
85 make it better. Bugzilla does not need an local postgres server.
86 And I didn't find any sign that it needs pg_config, so this current
87 libpq bug also shouldn't be an issue.
90 cu
91 --
93 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
95 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
96 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
97 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
98 http://patches.metux.de/

libpq-8.0.8-r1.ebuild text/plain