From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wrong dependencies to postgresql
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:00:46
1 On Saturday 23 December 2006 16:54, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] Wrong dependencies to postgresql':
3 > since jakub (as always) closes all my bugs,
4
5 Jakub is pretty bugzilla savvy, are you sure you bugs weren't closed for
6 valid reasons? Sometime he does jump the gun though, so I don't doubt
7 that some of your bugs may be valid -- you can always add more information
8 to the bug and ask for it to be reopened.
9
10 > I'll report the issue
11 > to this list before completely giving up and never ever waste a
12 > single second on reporting bugs ...
13
14 Bugzilla is *the only* official channel to get bugs reported so that the
15 developers will fix them. If you don't report your bugs, you'll just have
16 to wait for someone else to report or the developers to "accidentally" fix
17 the bug while working on something else.
18
19 > Lots of packages have an wrong/unnecessary dependency to
20 > postgresql.
21
22 I don't doubt it. It's generally better to depend on too much rather than
23 too little, and once things are "working" it's hard to get someone
24 to "fix" it and run the risk of breaking it further.
25
26 > Three cases:
27 >
28 > a) probably traditionally depended on the whole postgresql, maybe
29 > since before libpq was an own package. ie. qt, dovecot, ...
30
31 Have you confirmed these actually compile just against libpg?
32
33 > b) many apps (ie. webapps like bugzilla) have postgresql as dep.,
34 > although they do not need it to be installed. (ie. bugzilla does
35 > not have to do anything directly w/ postgresql, since it uses
36 > perl-DBD for database access). Of course they maybe want to
37 > have access to some postgres database, but this obviously does
38 > not need an local server.
39
40 Are you sure this isn't bringing in postgresql to satisfy some virtual?
41
42 In all cases, you've confirmed that the dependency is direct and not USE
43 flag controlled? Also, have you patched the ebuild with the
44 changed/removed dependency and then sucessfully installed and run the
45 package on a system *without postgresql* installed?
46
47 What's the third case?
50 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
51 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
52 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
53 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh