From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:57:25
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 3/18/2010 3:55 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >> I think avahi is a KDE thing. I don't really know what zeroconf is. If
6 >> I recall correctly, some package said it had to have that so I turned it
7 >> on. No clue what it is even after looking up the definition with euse.
8 >> May as well be Greek. ;-)
9 >>
10 > Zeroconf is a set of technologies that are supposed to generate a fully
11 > working IP network with no user or operator intervention. It includes
12 > three basic parts: link-local network config (e.g. IPv4LL), distribution
13 > hostname resolution (multicast DNS), and automatic service and device
14 > discovery (DNS service discovery).
15 >
16 > Used in the context of applications or services, you're usually talking
17 > specifically about the autodiscovery portion, which allows applications
18 > to find services and network devices automatically. It was primarily
19 > invented at Apple, who developed mDNS and DNS-SD, and is built into OS X
20 > as Bonjour.
21 >
22 > Avahi is just a free-software implementation of Bonjour (which was
23 > originally under the not-entirely-free Apple Public License), and from
24 > what I've read has practically overtaken Bonjour in terms of performance
25 > and features.
26 >
27 > Back onto the topic at hand: emerging cups with +zeroconf allows it to
28 > respond to service discovery requests. By default CUPS uses
29 > mDNSResponder, which is Apple's implementation; with +avahi is uses
30 > avahi instead. This means any Mac on your network will automatically
31 > see CUPS printers, as will any Linux client with avahi properly
32 > installed. Windows machines with iTunes or Safari installed probably
33 > have Bonjour as well, so they'd also benefit.
34 >
35 > On a side-note: CUPS 1.4 stopped supporting Avahi and only supports
36 > Apple's implementation, so the Gentoo devs have disabled zeroconf
37 > support completely until CUPS 1.5 (or whatever) brings back native Avahi
38 > support.
39 >
40 > --Mike
45 Thanks for the corrections. I thought it was a KDE thing because KDE
46 pulled it in on here. It appears to have more than one use. That's good.
47
48 Dale
49