From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:32:05
1 On 3/18/2010 3:55 PM, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I think avahi is a KDE thing. I don't really know what zeroconf is. If
4 > I recall correctly, some package said it had to have that so I turned it
5 > on. No clue what it is even after looking up the definition with euse.
6 > May as well be Greek. ;-)
7
8 Zeroconf is a set of technologies that are supposed to generate a fully
9 working IP network with no user or operator intervention. It includes
10 three basic parts: link-local network config (e.g. IPv4LL), distribution
11 hostname resolution (multicast DNS), and automatic service and device
12 discovery (DNS service discovery).
13
14 Used in the context of applications or services, you're usually talking
15 specifically about the autodiscovery portion, which allows applications
16 to find services and network devices automatically. It was primarily
17 invented at Apple, who developed mDNS and DNS-SD, and is built into OS X
18 as Bonjour.
19
20 Avahi is just a free-software implementation of Bonjour (which was
21 originally under the not-entirely-free Apple Public License), and from
22 what I've read has practically overtaken Bonjour in terms of performance
23 and features.
24
25 Back onto the topic at hand: emerging cups with +zeroconf allows it to
26 respond to service discovery requests. By default CUPS uses
27 mDNSResponder, which is Apple's implementation; with +avahi is uses
28 avahi instead. This means any Mac on your network will automatically
29 see CUPS printers, as will any Linux client with avahi properly
30 installed. Windows machines with iTunes or Safari installed probably
31 have Bonjour as well, so they'd also benefit.
32
33 On a side-note: CUPS 1.4 stopped supporting Avahi and only supports
34 Apple's implementation, so the Gentoo devs have disabled zeroconf
35 support completely until CUPS 1.5 (or whatever) brings back native Avahi
36 support.
37
38 --Mike