From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 100% CPU usage with no processes to blame?
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 07:49:08
1 On Wednesday 14 February 2007, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2 > If I cannot trust the tools provided by the OS for finding out whats
3 > going on-- than what can I trust -- this is intolerable! - if it is
4 > simply a situation if a non root user not being able to see root
5 > processes that is one thing, BUT if it really is a situation of the
6 > tools not giving accurate asessments, that is a whole other
7 > situation, and one that just cannot be allowed to continue (not that
8 > I can do much other than scream about it, cuz im not a programmer)
9
10 Calm down, the tools are not outright lying, see my other reply to
11 brullo for details. The trend the tools display is accurate though.
12
13 Incidentally, you do realize that every OS written in the past 20 years
14 suffers from this exact same problem, right? Linux simply doesn't try
15 and hide the fact that it is "lying"
18 Optimists say the glass is half full,
19 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
20 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
21
22 Alan McKinnon
23 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
24 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list