From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] 100% CPU usage with no processes to blame?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:38:58
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Hemmann, Volker Armin
3 [mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de]
4 Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:14 PM
5 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 100% CPU usage with no processes to blame?
7
8 On Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2007, brullo nulla wrote:
9 > > Most likely you only looked at user cpu % and neglected to list the
10 > > system and niced times as well.
11 > >
12 > > p.s. golden rule: ps lies. top lies. free lies.
13 > > Don't believe the readings they give, rather interpret them in
14 context.
15 >
16 > sob. it's not the first time I hear this. What should I believe to
17 > really know my system state?
20 youc ould try htop. Maybe it lies a little bit less than top.
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
23
24 If I cannot trust the tools provided by the OS for finding out whats
25 going on-- than what can I trust -- this is intolerable! - if it is
26 simply a situation if a non root user not being able to see root
27 processes that is one thing, BUT if it really is a situation of the
28 tools not giving accurate asessments, that is a whole other situation,
29 and one that just cannot be allowed to continue (not that I can do much
30 other than scream about it, cuz im not a programmer)
34 Tim Holmes
35 IT Manager / Webmaster / Teacher
36
37 Medina Christian Academy