From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 100% CPU usage with no processes to blame?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:58:40
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:31:31 -0500
4 "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > If I cannot trust the tools provided by the OS for finding out whats
7 > going on-- than what can I trust -- this is intolerable! - if it is
8 > simply a situation if a non root user not being able to see root
9 > processes that is one thing, BUT if it really is a situation of the
10 > tools not giving accurate asessments, that is a whole other situation,
11 > and one that just cannot be allowed to continue (not that I can do much
12 > other than scream about it, cuz im not a programmer)
13
14 It's mainly not a matter of trust, it's a matter of definitions not
15 meeting expectations. From an objective POV, the measures shown are
16 "correct". They are just defined as a more or less complex computation
17 which isn't exactly what is expected subjectively. People tend to
18 ignore the definitions and imagine the meaning from the shortened name
19 of the shown value.
20
21 Regarding trusting the OS: Those tools don't come with the kernel. This
22 is Linux, not the BSDs.
23
24 -hwh
25 --