From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: bash-completion 2: gentoo completion files installed wrong?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:42:54
1 On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 06:15:16PM -0700, walt wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:50:08 +0200
3 > Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hello fellows
6 > >
7 > > I’m trying to teach my bash to complete again. Ever since the upgrade
8 > > from v1 to v2 a year ago, I’ve been missing out on it in parts. I had
9 > > some time today, so I dug and found out that the central bash completion
10 > > script that sits at /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion looks in
11 > > ./completions.
12 > > […]
13 > > /usr/share/bash-completion $ ls completions | wc -l
14 > > 729
15 > > /usr/share/bash-completion $ eselect bashcomp list | tail -n 1
16 > > [729] zramctl *
17 > > /usr/share/bash-completion $ ls
18 > > bash_completion calibre-debug completions ebook-convert ebook-meta
19 > > ebuild epkginfo eselect flaggie glsa-check java-config layman metagen
20 > > […]
21 >
22 > (I'm running ~amd64). When I try the first two commands you list above
23 > I get similar results (776 vs 729). The output of your third command
24 > looks wrong:
25 >
26 > It seems that 'ls' is not listing the contents of /usr/share/bash-completion
27 > but instead is showing you a long list of possible bash-completions. Am
28 > I understanding your question/problem correctly?
29
30 No, it is proper ls output (with different colours ’n all). In response to
31 Dale’s answer: some of them are symlinks, some are not. In the case of
32 eselect I checked genlop and it was installed after bash-completion, so it
33 should have been migrated already. Anyways... I will do as the quoted news
34 item tells me to when I’m home again.
35
36 Cheers
37 --
38 A Tudor who tooted a flute tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
39 Said the two to their tutor,
40 “Is it harder to toot, or to tutor two tooters to toot?”