From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4/ext3 for /boot?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:36:48
1 On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:15:06 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > > Me, I have always put ext2 on /boot. I just don't see much need in
4 > > anything fancy for something that is used so seldom plus everything is
5 > > likely stored somewhere else anyway. The kernel should be in the
6 > > kernel source directory and a emerge of grub would restore everything
7 > > else except the config. Not much to lose there.
8
9 One of the benefits of GRUB2 is that the information used to create the
10 config file is in /etc. If /boot is toasted, you can recreate all you
11 need with
12
13 grub2-install
14 grub2-mkconfig
15 cd /usr/src/linux
16 make install
17
18 > Not to mention that /boot usually has a noauto option, so it's very
19 > unlikely that a wayward prog can somehow bollix up the filesystem.
20
21 Leaving /boot unmounted invites the inevitable error of forgetting to
22 mount it before installing a new kernel. I prefer to mount it ro, that
23 way its contents are available, protected from accidental overwriting and
24 it shouts at you if you forget to remount it before installing a kernel
25 or updating GRUB.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 But I thought YOU did the backups...