From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4/ext3 for /boot?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 13:12:45
1 On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 19:35, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:15:06 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Me, I have always put ext2 on /boot.  I just don't see much need in
5 >> > anything fancy for something that is used so seldom plus everything is
6 >> > likely stored somewhere else anyway.  The kernel should be in the
7 >> > kernel source directory and a emerge of grub would restore everything
8 >> > else except the config.  Not much to lose there.
9 >
10 > One of the benefits of GRUB2 is that the information used to create the
11 > config file is in /etc. If /boot is toasted, you can recreate all you
12 > need with
13 >
14 > grub2-install
15 > grub2-mkconfig
16 > cd /usr/src/linux
17 > make install
18 >
19 >> Not to mention that /boot usually has a noauto option, so it's very
20 >> unlikely that a wayward prog can somehow bollix up the filesystem.
21 >
22 > Leaving /boot unmounted invites the inevitable error of forgetting to
23 > mount it before installing a new kernel. I prefer to mount it ro, that
24 > way its contents are available, protected from accidental overwriting and
25 > it shouts at you if you forget to remount it before installing a kernel
26 > or updating GRUB.
29 I have a script that does the menuconfig + diff .config + make +
30 install (including kernel copying to /boot, automagically mounting
31 /boot if needed), so I can get away with noauto ;-)
32
33 Oh, and it also auto-modifies grub.cfg for me :-D
34
35 Rgds,
36 --
37 FdS Pandu E Poluan