From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: speakers have no sound but headphones have
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:32:23
1 Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:04:59 -0400
4 > Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Chuanwen: Personally I have never encountered a situation where on a
7 > > laptop the volume control etc. is different between the attached
8 > > speakers and headphones. I've always assumed (someone correct me if
9 > > I am wrong) that the switching between headphones and the attached
10 > > speakers is hardware and not software.
11 >
12 > This is true; the headphone jacks usually have an integrated
13 > disconnect switch for the internal laptop speakers, to be tripped
14 > when a plug is inserted.
15
16 It's apparently no longer true, at least for newish Intel HDA
17 chipsets. Mine (SigmaTel STAC9872AK) would not switch off the internal
18 speakers when the jack was plugged in, so sound would come from both
19 the headphones and the speakers. A recent patch to the driver fixed
20 this.
21
22 Sorry this doesn't help the OP any.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list