From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] speakers have no sound but headphones have
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:47:12
1 On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:04:59 -0400
2 Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU> wrote:
3
4 oh, Princeton. how prestigious : )
5
6 > Chuanwen: Personally I have never encountered a situation where on a
7 > laptop the volume control etc. is different between the attached
8 > speakers and headphones. I've always assumed (someone correct me if I
9 > am wrong) that the switching between headphones and the attached
10 > speakers is hardware and not software.
11 This is true; the headphone jacks usually have an integrated disconnect
12 switch for the internal laptop speakers, to be tripped when a plug is
13 inserted.
14
15 >If that is the case then you
16 > might have a hardware issue.
17
18 I doubt it, since they work in windows. More likely, this new-ish
19 sound card is going to require a bit of tweaking to get working
20 properly.
23 > On the other hand, I am not sure how to read your alsamixer output.
24 > Perhaps post output from 'amixer'?
25
26 It too think this would be very helpful. amixer will list each of the
27 device controls, so we can see if it's just a simple unmuting of
28 something you missed (i doubt it).
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list