From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] speakers have no sound but headphones have
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:19:01
1 On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 01:00:17PM -0400, Penguin Lover Mark Shields
2 squawked:
3 > On 10/18/07, Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > A message body would help ;)
6
7 Mark, I think this problem is on your end possibly. I got the
8 following message just okay.
9
10 On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 11:54:36PM +0800, Penguin Lover Chuanwen Wu squawked:
11 > I have a sound problem with my dell1400 laptop: I have no sound from
12 > the speakers in the laptop but I can have sound from headphones after
13 > I insert them.
14 >
15 > When I used $alsamixer -V all, I got these informations:
16 >
17 > Card: HDA Intel ???
18 > Chip: SigmaTel STAC9228 ???
20 > Item: Master [dB gain=-33.75, -33.75]
21 > Item: PCM [dB gain=-10.00, -10.00]
22 > Item: Front [dB gain=-45.00, -47.25]
23 > Item: Mic as Output
24 > Item: IEC958
25 > Item: ADCMux
26 > Item: InMux [dB gain=30.00, 30.00]
27 > Item: InVol [dB gain=16.50, 16.50]
28 >
29 > As you can see, Mic and IEC958's values are both 0.
30 >
31 > I always think that headphones are equal with speakers, because them
32 > are both connected to the same thing in physics.
33 > But now, why my headphones are aloud but my speakers are silent.
34 > In Windows xp, both of them work very well. Headphones were after I
35 > insert them and otherwise, the speakers loud .
36 >
37 > How to fix this problem?
38 > Thanks in advanced!
39
40 Chuanwen: Personally I have never encountered a situation where on a
41 laptop the volume control etc. is different between the attached
42 speakers and headphones. I've always assumed (someone correct me if I
43 am wrong) that the switching between headphones and the attached
44 speakers is hardware and not software. If that is the case then you
45 might have a hardware issue.
46
47 On the other hand, I am not sure how to read your alsamixer output.
48 Perhaps post output from 'amixer'?
49
50 W
51 --
52 "Rome wasn't burned in a day. "
53 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 314 days, 16:24
54 --
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list