From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stray dependency on virtual/x11-7.0-r2
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:26:36
1 On 9/17/06, Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 9/17/06, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > I just switched to modular X, and got to the point where the system
5 > > comes up okay.
6 > > I have a few remaining puzzles and problems. Here's one:
7 > >
8 > > When I do emerge -aDvu world, it wants to emerge
9 > > [ebuild N ] virtual/x11- 7.0-r2 USE="dri" 0 kB
10 > >
11 > > The migration guide says this can happen when there's an outdated package.
12 > > But equery says there are well over 100 such packages that depend on
13 > > virtual/x11. And they're all up to date. I've been running stable so
14 > far, with
15 > > very few exceptions. Am I really to go unstable with all of these? This
16 > seems
17 > > extreme in view of the fact that a great many of them are KDE things, but
18 > > KDE seems to be working just fine.
19 > >
20 > > What's a guy to do? Can I get away with just waiting for a while?
24 > emerge -aDvut will show the dependency tree which should tell you which
25 > package requires virtual/x11-7.0-r2. Once you have narrowed down which
26 > package requires it to be installed you can deal with it from there.
27 > Instead of going unstable with your entire system you can add the offending
28 > package to /etc/portage/package.keywords for instance. If it's a package
29 > you know you don't need you could also remove it. HTH
30 >
31 > Regards,
32 >
33 > Greg
34
35 Thanks. That was very helpful. The --tree showed that there was only one
36 culprit package, and I don't need it. Bye, bye, problem.
37
38 ++ kevin
41 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
42 --