From: Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stray dependency on virtual/x11-7.0-r2
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 07:23:44
1 On 9/17/06, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I just switched to modular X, and got to the point where the system
4 > comes up okay.
5 > I have a few remaining puzzles and problems. Here's one:
6 >
7 > When I do emerge -aDvu world, it wants to emerge
8 > [ebuild N ] virtual/x11-7.0-r2 USE="dri" 0 kB
9 >
10 > The migration guide says this can happen when there's an outdated package.
11 > But equery says there are well over 100 such packages that depend on
12 > virtual/x11. And they're all up to date. I've been running stable so
13 > far, with
14 > very few exceptions. Am I really to go unstable with all of these? This
15 > seems
16 > extreme in view of the fact that a great many of them are KDE things, but
17 > KDE seems to be working just fine.
18 >
19 > What's a guy to do? Can I get away with just waiting for a while?
23 emerge -aDvut will show the dependency tree which should tell you which
24 package requires virtual/x11-7.0-r2. Once you have narrowed down which
25 package requires it to be installed you can deal with it from there.
26 Instead of going unstable with your entire system you can add the offending
27 package to /etc/portage/package.keywords for instance. If it's a package
28 you know you don't need you could also remove it. HTH
29
30 Regards,
31
32 Greg