From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:25:58
1 Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 13:09:17 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > On 10/27/2011 11:15 AM, Dale wrote:
3 > > Howdy,
4 > >
5 > > I'm wanting to get a hard drive that is pretty good size. I'm looking
6 > > for about 1 to 2TBs or so. Thing is, a lot of them seem to be 5900 or
7 > > even 5400 rpm drives. I realize that the data on there is packed pretty
8 > > tight so I want to ask a few people that may have one or more of these
9 > > things a few questions. Are they as fast as a slower RPM drive?
10 >
11 > I assume you meant to say "as fast as a faster RPM drive". No, of
12 > course not. If we're speaking about the same capacity and amount of
13 > platters, of course. If we're not, then yes, they can be as fast
14 > because of the higher data density.
15 >
16 > > Would
17 > > they be fast enough to play HD videos and such? I have quite a few 1080
18 > > HD videos. I don't want the drive to cause issues.
19 >
20 > The transfer speed required for playing HD videos is virtually zero.
21 > 1080p video compressed using an 8mbps rate require 2MB/s. This can be
22 > done even with the slowest drive from 10 years ago. Today's slowest
23 > drive are able to play about 40 or 50 of those HD video simultaneously.
24 > So the answer is yes. They can play HD video :-)
25 >
26 > Most of those 5900/5400 disks are meant for pure data storage. The
27 > lower RPM is used to market them as "green and silent", meaning they
28 > don't consume much power and aren't noisy. Installing your OS on them
29 > though isn't going to give you good speed. They have good transfer
30 > rates, but their access times usually suck.
31 >
32 > > Can someone that has one or more of these post their hdparm -Tt results?
33 > > Different speeds would be great too. I'd like to compare what a 5400rpm
34 > > drive would do compared to a 7200rpm drive.
35 >
36 > Simply Google around for benchmarks of the drivers you're interested in.
37 > Note that is in area where it doesn't make any real difference that
38 > the benches or reviews you find are performed under MS Windows. The
39 > results are applicable to every OS.
40 >
41 > As a rule of thumb when buying drives: if you want to install software
42 > on it, buy an 7200RPM drive with good access times. Of course they're
43 > more expensive If you just want to store all your downloaded HD porn
44 > and music collection on it, a silent 5400RPM drive is a good choice.
47 indeed. Additionally they don't get really warm. Which reduces the overall
48 thermal load in the case.
49
50 One important thing:
51
52 most if not all 2TB drives have 4K sectors, which means you have to be
53 carefull while partitioning those beasts.
54 --
55 #163933