From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:31:28
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 13:09:17 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >> On 10/27/2011 11:15 AM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm wanting to get a hard drive that is pretty good size. I'm looking
7 >>> for about 1 to 2TBs or so. Thing is, a lot of them seem to be 5900 or
8 >>> even 5400 rpm drives. I realize that the data on there is packed pretty
9 >>> tight so I want to ask a few people that may have one or more of these
10 >>> things a few questions. Are they as fast as a slower RPM drive?
11 >> I assume you meant to say "as fast as a faster RPM drive". No, of
12 >> course not. If we're speaking about the same capacity and amount of
13 >> platters, of course. If we're not, then yes, they can be as fast
14 >> because of the higher data density.
15 >>
16 >>> Would
17 >>> they be fast enough to play HD videos and such? I have quite a few 1080
18 >>> HD videos. I don't want the drive to cause issues.
19 >> The transfer speed required for playing HD videos is virtually zero.
20 >> 1080p video compressed using an 8mbps rate require 2MB/s. This can be
21 >> done even with the slowest drive from 10 years ago. Today's slowest
22 >> drive are able to play about 40 or 50 of those HD video simultaneously.
23 >> So the answer is yes. They can play HD video :-)
24 >>
25 >> Most of those 5900/5400 disks are meant for pure data storage. The
26 >> lower RPM is used to market them as "green and silent", meaning they
27 >> don't consume much power and aren't noisy. Installing your OS on them
28 >> though isn't going to give you good speed. They have good transfer
29 >> rates, but their access times usually suck.
30 >>
31 >>> Can someone that has one or more of these post their hdparm -Tt results?
32 >>> Different speeds would be great too. I'd like to compare what a 5400rpm
33 >>> drive would do compared to a 7200rpm drive.
34 >> Simply Google around for benchmarks of the drivers you're interested in.
35 >> Note that is in area where it doesn't make any real difference that
36 >> the benches or reviews you find are performed under MS Windows. The
37 >> results are applicable to every OS.
38 >>
39 >> As a rule of thumb when buying drives: if you want to install software
40 >> on it, buy an 7200RPM drive with good access times. Of course they're
41 >> more expensive If you just want to store all your downloaded HD porn
42 >> and music collection on it, a silent 5400RPM drive is a good choice.
43 >>
44 > indeed. Additionally they don't get really warm. Which reduces the overall
45 > thermal load in the case.
46 >
47 > One important thing:
48 >
49 > most if not all 2TB drives have 4K sectors, which means you have to be
50 > carefull while partitioning those beasts.
53 Looks like some good info. I just need a GOOD sale and some extra money
54 to spend. Maybe in a couple weeks or so. Hopefully. ;-)
55
56 As for heat in my case, I have a Cooler Master HAF-932 case. It has
57 those huge 230mm fans. Heat is not a problem.
58
59 I just wonder how much data they will be able to pack into a 3.5" drive
60 tho. Hmmmmm. Surely they will run out of room at some point. I mean,
61 the heads have got to have a little room to work with.
62
63 Dale
64