From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] How to get sshd to start on boot?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:53:24
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org]On Behalf Of Grant Edwards
3 > Sent: 16 March 2007 15:39
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] How to get sshd to start on boot?
8 > How do I configure sshd to start at boot time?
9 >
10 > When I boot up with eth0 (hard-wired ethernet) connected, sshd
11 > starts. If I boot up with just a wireless network
12 > (wpa-supplicant), sshd refuses to start because eth0 isn't
13 > configured:
14 >
15 > Mar 16 09:27:59 ThinkGrant rc-scripts: ERROR: cannot start
16 > netmount as net.eth0 could not start
17 > Mar 16 09:28:00 ThinkGrant rc-scripts: ERROR: cannot start
18 > sshd as net.eth0 could not start
19 >
20 > If I start sshd manually after the wireless link comes up, it
21 > works fine, but the startup script seems to think it's smarter
22 > than I am.
23 >
24 > What's the proper way to configure sshd so that it starts even
25 > when I'm on a wireless network instead of a wired one?
28 I believe there is some setting in the sshd script that tells it only to start if X, Y and Z are running. If I recall correctly you need to either tell it that it doesn't need eth0 but can use wlan0 or eth1 or ra0 or whatever your wireless card is called. Alternatively there may be a way to make sure sshd doesnt try to start until after your wireless is up and running.
29
30 Someone will likely chime in in a bit with a full and concise explanation but this may give you a starting point if you want to have a rummage. I don't have a Gentoo rig in front of me at the moment otherwise I'd have a poke around for you :).
31
32 Cheers
35 djn
36
37 I do not represent anyone else in emails I send to this list.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list