From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone succeeded with kmail2?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 18:27:10
1 On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 18:09:27 +0100
2 "Peter Humphrey" <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Thanks for your thoughts Alan. I didn't like Claws much last time I
5 > tried it, but then that was some time ago.
6 >
7 > Does anyone recommend a mail client that doesn't rely too heavily on
8 > the mouse? I much prefer to navigate, reply etc with the keyboard.
9 > I've seen Evolution recommended; is that OK?
10 >
11 > Meanwhile I'm having to use my ISP;s webmail service.
12
13 I love claws but perhaps you should ask on the claws mailing list I
14 thought it was too mouse heavy too but when I actually look it's very
15 few tabs, arrows, enter and ctrl-R to reply etc. and the
16 configurability of claws may help too, though I can't see if you can
17 assign shortcuts to custom commands/actions.
18
19 The manual says this but I can't find out how to change those shortcuts
20 'on the fly' myself after a quick try. I shall certainly be using the
21 mouse less now anyway ;-)
22
23 _____________________________________________________________________
24
25 B. Default keyboard shortcuts
26 B.1. Motivations and general conventions
27
28 Although Claws Mail is a graphical application and can mainly be
29 commanded with your mouse, it also requires the frequent use of the
30 keyboard. Composing a mail is the most common of the tasks that require
31 the use of the keyboard. For people who write a lot of mails, having to
32 move hands from keyboard to mouse greatly reduces productivity, so
33 Claws Mail provides keyboard shortcuts to allow faster operation.
34
35 This not only benefits power users by providing keyboard alternatives
36 and keyboard navigation, it also enables people with disabilities, (who
37 may not be able to properly control a pointing device), to use Claws
38 Mail.
39
40 The most general convention is the Escape key. Focused dialogues or
41 windows can be closed by hitting the Esc key.
42
43 There are other key combinations which are assigned by default to menu
44 items. We won't list these here, as they are already shown on the
45 righthand side of the menus themselves, so you can easily learn them
46 with usage. Furthermore, if you don't like them, these shortcuts can be
47 changed on the fly by focusing on the menu item and pressing the
48 desired key combination.
49
50 In addition to these shortcuts there are others which vary from window
51 to window, which are summarised in the following sections.