From: "John H. Moe" <johnmoe@×××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading ~x68 kde-4.2 to kde-4.3 question
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 21:56:19
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Roy Wright writes:
5 >> kde-4.3 is now unmasked for ~x86. Whooooop!
8 > I'm also happy, and I want to upgrade soon. I hope many of those little
9 > annoyances I experience will be fixed.
12 >> But it is looking like a non-trivial upgrade. :(
15 > Yeah.
18 >> When I installed kde-4.2, I followed the advice of unmasking portage
19 >> and using sets. Also followed the recommendation to use -kdeprefix.
20 >> Further I removed kde-3.5 and added a mask on kdelibs-3.5 to help keep
21 >> 3.5 off of the system.
22 >>
23 >> So for the kde-4.3 upgrade, it looks like this is what will be
24 >> necessary:
25 >>
26 >> 1) grab the sets again from the kde-testing overlay and put them in /
27 >> etc/portage/sets (assumption is to do a replace).
30 > I did that, too, but got errors from portage (Error during set creation:
31 > Redefinition of set...). Looks like the sets are found in the kde-testing
32 > overlay, so I removed them from /etc/portage/sets, and all was fine. Coool.
35 >> 2) unmerge kde-4.2 using: emerge --unmerge @kde-4.2
38 > Not really necessary I heard.
39 > But: I am still using the dreaded kdeprefix use flag. It sounded like a good
40 > idea to use it, and I would also like to have different minor KDE versions
41 > alongside. Okay, it's hard to maintain, I understand it will be dropped.
42 > Now, do I REALLY REALLY have to unmerge all @kde-4.2 first, remove the
43 > kdeprefix use flag, and proceed to step 3?
46 >> 3) merge kde-4.3 using: emerge -av @kde-4.3
49 > Hopefully this runs through. If it takes a night, it's okay, but if it stops
50 > in the middle, I have no KDE for a while. And I need much of the stuff in
51 > there, like the wallet with its passwords.
52 >
53 > What about this: I update my system's backup (I'm using rdiff-backup),
54 > chroot into the backup, sudo to my account, and issue startkde. Could I get
55 > a running KDE 4.2? Then I would have time to install 4.3.
58 >> 4) recustomize kde as the ~/.kde will not be migrated
61 > I really hope I can just copy .kde4.2 to .kde4 and all (okay, most) settings
62 > will be kept. I think it just _should_ work. Customizing all over again
63 > every time a new KDE arrives would be no good.
64 >
65 > Wonko
70 Well, I don't know about necessary, but on my box, when I tried to
71 update from kde-meta:4.2 to kde-meta:4.3, there were a few blockers that
72 wouldn't let it go through, so I ended up unmerging 4.2, then emerging
73 4.3 (which took about 4-6 hours, but I have distcc set up between two
74 boxes, so that probably sped things up). However, I seem to remember
75 that the blockers were with PyQt, Python and eselect-python; I hadn't
76 thought about it, cause I'm still not THAT experienced with Linux in
77 general, and Gentoo in particular, but the Python update was a Big Deal,
78 so perhaps updating Python before the KDE upgrade would have been a good
79 idea. :-P Granted though, I didn't use sets, so it may be a bit
80 different for you.
81
82 Oh, and I didn't touch my .kde or .kde4 folders during this process, and
83 as far as I can tell, it's still using all of my customizations...
84
86 John Moe