From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading ~x68 kde-4.2 to kde-4.3 question
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:39:54
1 Roy Wright writes:
2
3 > kde-4.3 is now unmasked for ~x86. Whooooop!
4
5 I'm also happy, and I want to upgrade soon. I hope many of those little
6 annoyances I experience will be fixed.
7
8 > But it is looking like a non-trivial upgrade. :(
9
10 Yeah.
11
12 > When I installed kde-4.2, I followed the advice of unmasking portage
13 > and using sets. Also followed the recommendation to use -kdeprefix.
14 > Further I removed kde-3.5 and added a mask on kdelibs-3.5 to help keep
15 > 3.5 off of the system.
16 >
17 > So for the kde-4.3 upgrade, it looks like this is what will be
18 > necessary:
19 >
20 > 1) grab the sets again from the kde-testing overlay and put them in /
21 > etc/portage/sets (assumption is to do a replace).
22
23 I did that, too, but got errors from portage (Error during set creation:
24 Redefinition of set...). Looks like the sets are found in the kde-testing
25 overlay, so I removed them from /etc/portage/sets, and all was fine. Coool.
26
27 > 2) unmerge kde-4.2 using: emerge --unmerge @kde-4.2
28
29 Not really necessary I heard.
30 But: I am still using the dreaded kdeprefix use flag. It sounded like a good
31 idea to use it, and I would also like to have different minor KDE versions
32 alongside. Okay, it's hard to maintain, I understand it will be dropped.
33 Now, do I REALLY REALLY have to unmerge all @kde-4.2 first, remove the
34 kdeprefix use flag, and proceed to step 3?
35
36 > 3) merge kde-4.3 using: emerge -av @kde-4.3
37
38 Hopefully this runs through. If it takes a night, it's okay, but if it stops
39 in the middle, I have no KDE for a while. And I need much of the stuff in
40 there, like the wallet with its passwords.
41
42 What about this: I update my system's backup (I'm using rdiff-backup),
43 chroot into the backup, sudo to my account, and issue startkde. Could I get
44 a running KDE 4.2? Then I would have time to install 4.3.
45
46 > 4) recustomize kde as the ~/.kde will not be migrated
47
48 I really hope I can just copy .kde4.2 to .kde4 and all (okay, most) settings
49 will be kept. I think it just _should_ work. Customizing all over again
50 every time a new KDE arrives would be no good.
51
52 Wonko