From: Colin <signofzeta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] P4P800 - Intel ICH5R - data recovery?
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:58:53
1 On Jul 19, 2005, at 7:37 PM, José Pedro Saraiva wrote:
2
3 > Thanks for the reply Colin =)
6 >> If you remember your stripe size, then you should be able to plug
7 >> your drives into any ICH5R-based motherboard and get your data back.
8 >> Theoretically, you could plug your drives into any RAID whose BIOS
9 >> does not write to the disks when creating an array and then recreate
10 >> the array in the BIOS with the same stripe size. I don't know if
11 >> software RAID can rebuild your array, but that seems like your best
12 >> bet, lest you have a friend with a lot of SATA RAID controllers (s)
13 >> he's willing to lend out.
16 > I already ordered another ICH5R motherboard (similar to my P4P800 but
17 > a new model, since my old one is not available anymore) to try that
18 > out. I'm almost sure that my stripe size is 64KB (default). If so,
19 > plugging my hard drives into the new board and creating a new array
20 > with the same stripe size will give me access to my data? Or is there
21 > the risk of loosing it all? Do you know if the ICH5R writes to the
22 > disks when creating the array?
23
24 No idea. Google for some technical documents or fire off an email to
25 Asus, Intel or your RAID controller's manufacturer.
26
27 Recreating an array could be risky. SCSI drives usually have a write-
28 protect jumper, but AFAIK, there's no way to implement that with
29 SATA. You could try pulling the data or power cable after
30 configuring the array but before building it. SATA should be hot-
31 swappable if you're using the SATA power plug, so there probably
32 won't be any damage to your disk or motherboard. Hopefully that will
33 write to the RAID BIOS but not the disk. I wouldn't recommend doing
34 this, though, but hey, you're not me. :-)
35 --
36 Colin
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list