From: "José Pedro Saraiva" <nocive@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] P4P800 - Intel ICH5R - data recovery?
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:43:34
1 Thanks for the reply Colin =)
2
3 > If you remember your stripe size, then you should be able to plug
4 > your drives into any ICH5R-based motherboard and get your data back.
5 > Theoretically, you could plug your drives into any RAID whose BIOS
6 > does not write to the disks when creating an array and then recreate
7 > the array in the BIOS with the same stripe size. I don't know if
8 > software RAID can rebuild your array, but that seems like your best
9 > bet, lest you have a friend with a lot of SATA RAID controllers (s)
10 > he's willing to lend out.
11
12 I already ordered another ICH5R motherboard (similar to my P4P800 but
13 a new model, since my old one is not available anymore) to try that
14 out. I'm almost sure that my stripe size is 64KB (default). If so,
15 plugging my hard drives into the new board and creating a new array
16 with the same stripe size will give me access to my data? Or is there
17 the risk of loosing it all? Do you know if the ICH5R writes to the
18 disks when creating the array?
19
20 > If all else fails and your data is priceless, grab a couple grand and
21 > look into professional data recovery, because unless you can find a
22 > super-geek, that will probably be your best bet.
23
24 Unfortunately I cannot afford such a service, even though my data is
25 crucial to me, they're just too expensive for my pocket. :-(
26
27 José Pedro
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list