From: Patrick Rutkowski <rutski89@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] P4P800 - Intel ICH5R - data recovery?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:48:29
1 On Tuesday 19 July 2005 19:37, José Pedro Saraiva wrote:
2 > Thanks for the reply Colin =)
3 >
4 > > If you remember your stripe size, then you should be able to plug
5 > > your drives into any ICH5R-based motherboard and get your data back.
6 > > Theoretically, you could plug your drives into any RAID whose BIOS
7 > > does not write to the disks when creating an array and then recreate
8 > > the array in the BIOS with the same stripe size. I don't know if
9 > > software RAID can rebuild your array, but that seems like your best
10 > > bet, lest you have a friend with a lot of SATA RAID controllers (s)
11 > > he's willing to lend out.
12 >
13 > I already ordered another ICH5R motherboard (similar to my P4P800 but
14 > a new model, since my old one is not available anymore) to try that
15 > out. I'm almost sure that my stripe size is 64KB (default). If so,
16 > plugging my hard drives into the new board and creating a new array
17 > with the same stripe size will give me access to my data? Or is there
18 > the risk of loosing it all? Do you know if the ICH5R writes to the
19 > disks when creating the array?
20 >
21 > > If all else fails and your data is priceless, grab a couple grand and
22 > > look into professional data recovery, because unless you can find a
23 > > super-geek, that will probably be your best bet.
24 >
25 > Unfortunately I cannot afford such a service, even though my data is
26 > crucial to me, they're just too expensive for my pocket. :-(
27 >
28 > José Pedro
29
30 My one BIG FAT WARNING to you would be to think for 30 seconds or more before
31 pushing any buttons when redoing your disks.
32
33 Its very easy to accidentally format things when you don't know exactly what
34 your doing... at least for me it is; I've done it :-p
35
36 Wishing the best of luck,
37 Patrick Rutkowski
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list