From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Moving system from "single-disk" to RAID-1 configuration
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:34:59
1 On Sunday 23 October 2005 15:53, Dan Johansson wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have a setup Gentoo on a Box with a onboard ATA Raid controller
5 > (Promise PDC20265 FastTrak100 Lite/Ultra100). At the moment I am only
6 > using one ATA-Disk on this controller (this is the only disk in the
7 > system). Now I want to add a second Disk to this system and setup a
8 > RAID-1 configuration. Can someone point me to a good HOWTO or
9 > something similar which describes how to setup this
10 > (grub/lilo/dm/...) on a 2.6 kernel.
11 >
12 > Regards,
13
14 Many howtos mix raidtools and mdadm, this one [1] IMO is much clear.
15
16 At the moment I'm running a system with a RAID1 for /boot and another
17 RAID1 for root, and a LVM2 on top of a RAID5 for everything else. [3]
18
19 The most difficult thing was making disc naming sticky, I have a ASUS
20 A8V with a Via and a Promise controller, and the disk naming was so
21 sloppy that if sda failed all other disks were renamed to accommodate
22 in the free namespace, not at all reliable!
23 See [2].
24
25 In the end, after udev fine tuning, I managed to build a degraded array
26 of 4 disks using 3 discs (the RAID1 for /boot was built with 3 of 3
27 from the start) using instruction and suggestion in [1], no need
28 for /etc/raidtab!
29
30 A livecd that recognizes your hardware and has mdadm, lvm... is an
31 invaluable rescue tool, test it before all.
32
33 [1]http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2002/12/05/RAID.html
34 [2]http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/OSAlternatifs/RAID-Soft-SATA-SCSI-Les-disques-changent-resolu-sujet-51807-1.htm
35 [3]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml
36
37 ciao
38 Francesco
39 --
40 Linux Version 2.6.12-gentoo-r9, Compiled #2 Wed Aug 24 18:43:16 CEST
41 2005
42 One 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 4325.37 Bogomips Total
43 aemaeth
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list