From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Moving system from "single-disk" to RAID-1 configuration
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:07:04
1 On Monday 24 October 2005 19:28, Francesco Talamona wrote:
2 > The most difficult thing was making disc naming sticky, I have a ASUS
3 > A8V with a Via and a Promise controller, and the disk naming was so
4 > sloppy that if sda failed all other disks were renamed to accommodate
5 > in the free namespace, not at all reliable!
6
7 I don't read french, so I don't know what that URL said, but device naming is
8 not an issue.
9 All you need to do is change the partition type to fd "Linux raid autodetect",
10 then either:
11 1) Compile all the raid/ide/scsi drivers you need into the kernel, and all
12 your arrays will be automagically created on startup.
13 2) Add an entry like at the bottom of page 1 of the linuxdevcenter article,
14 except all you actually need is this:
15
16 DEVICE partitions
17 ARRAY /dev/md0 uuid=8ef83d67:79b230ba:6cc967c3:208b9224
18
19 I have a SATA card that doesn't have in kernel drivers, so I have to load a
20 module, which naturally means the kernel can't autostart all my arrays, but
21 mdadm can without me having to tell it any device nodes.
24 Mike Williams
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list