From: behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] necessary use flgas
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:23:30
1 > Here's some good advice:
2 >
3 > Don't do that. See below.
6 Oops! I have done it and I am happy so far !
7
8 That's a bit of a nonsensical line of thought, as what you think you
9 > want doesn't really exist.
12 I think you misunderstood me! for example adding CPU specific flags is a
13 good idea right?
14 I meant something like that. For example is it wise to enable opengl flag
15 globally ? is it helpful to do so?
18 > > What do you recommend ?
19 >
20 > DO NOT SET "USE=-*"
23 As I said before I have done it and I totally recommend it to anyone
24 interested to get a better understanding of user land.
28 > Pick a profile that suits what you want to use the computer for.
29
30 You have a desktop? Pick a suitable desktop profile. Don't pick a KDE
31 > one unless oyu use KDE for instance (all that does is set some KDE flags
32 > (like semantic-desktop or baloo or whatever they call it now) and force
33 > some KDE packages to be merged. It doesn't change the underlying way
34 > things work.
37 desktop profiles are very big for my taste. In fact I have been using KDE
38 for about a year on the default (basic) profile.
39 I have compiled the KDE with KDE profile and I have witnessed the
40 differences with my own eyes.
43 > I very much doubt you can "increase security" by picking some USE flags.
44 > There is no
45 > USE="open-me-up-to-the-world"
46 > or
47 > USE="rock-solid-nsa-proff-tight"
48 > USE flags :-)
49 >
50 > So what security features do you need or want?
51 > Figure that out and then set the system up to provide that. You will get
52 > what you want.
53 >
54 > Well I know there is no USE flag like that! I am not that stupid but I
55 remember that I have read somewhere(unfortunately I dont remember where)
56 that disabling some use flags will degrade the security of system.