From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] necessary use flgas
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 04:26:03
1 2015-06-24 6:23 GMT-06:00 behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 >> Here's some good advice:
4 >>
5 >> Don't do that. See below.
8 > Oops! I have done it and I am happy so far !
9 >
10 >> That's a bit of a nonsensical line of thought, as what you think you
11 >> want doesn't really exist.
14 > I think you misunderstood me! for example adding CPU specific flags is a
15 > good idea right?
16 > I meant something like that. For example is it wise to enable opengl flag
17 > globally ? is it helpful to do so?
20 >> > What do you recommend ?
21 >>
22 >> DO NOT SET "USE=-*"
25 > As I said before I have done it and I totally recommend it to anyone
26 > interested to get a better understanding of user land.
27 >
28 I don't see the point of using USE="-*" for learning, if you want to
29 really learn, create and overlay and make your own profile, read the
30 developer documentation about it, and do a proper thing, not some
31 clunky mess in /etc/portage.
32 You could very well evaluate the basic profile, and part from there or
33 modify it as you see fit, but making a mess that you wont be able to
34 port easily in case you actually make something you might want to keep
35 and reproduce somewhere else, is not getting a better understanding.