From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no mouse nor keyboard on X
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 21:01:07
1 On Saturday 08 May 2010 18:04:42 Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > xorg-drivers is just a meta package and won't remerge individual drivers
4 > > unless the version number changes. It look to me like you have an evdev
5 > > driver built against an earlier X server
6 >
7 > Does anyone else think it would be useful for emerge to have a switch to
8 > make it re-emerge all of the individual packages making up a
9 > meta-package? 'emerge metapackage' does not do enough and 'emerge -e
10 > metapackage' will rebuild too much.Either that or a utility to split a
11 > meta-package into its constituent parts, so you could have something
12 > like 'emerge $(qsplit xorg-drivers)'. Though in the case of xorg-drivers
13 > the recommended 'emerge $(qlist -IC xorg-drivers/)' works just as well,
14 > but this is just pure luck as the required packages are in a single
15 > category which contains no other packages.
16
17 You have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that into portage.
18
19 A major concern of the devs is getting portage to rebuild *less* stuff and to
20 fix ebuilds yo rebuild *less* stuff and fix devs who don't grok it.
21
22 You are proposing the opposite.
23
24 I can predict the response you will get if you file a bug:
25
26 "Read the elog message"
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com