From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no mouse nor keyboard on X
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 09:20:46
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 08 May 2010 18:04:42 Graham Murray wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> xorg-drivers is just a meta package and won't remerge individual drivers
7 >>> unless the version number changes. It look to me like you have an evdev
8 >>> driver built against an earlier X server
9 >>>
10 >> Does anyone else think it would be useful for emerge to have a switch to
11 >> make it re-emerge all of the individual packages making up a
12 >> meta-package? 'emerge metapackage' does not do enough and 'emerge -e
13 >> metapackage' will rebuild too much.Either that or a utility to split a
14 >> meta-package into its constituent parts, so you could have something
15 >> like 'emerge $(qsplit xorg-drivers)'. Though in the case of xorg-drivers
16 >> the recommended 'emerge $(qlist -IC xorg-drivers/)' works just as well,
17 >> but this is just pure luck as the required packages are in a single
18 >> category which contains no other packages.
19 >>
20 > You have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that into portage.
21 >
22 > A major concern of the devs is getting portage to rebuild *less* stuff and to
23 > fix ebuilds yo rebuild *less* stuff and fix devs who don't grok it.
24 >
25 > You are proposing the opposite.
26 >
27 > I can predict the response you will get if you file a bug:
28 >
29 > "Read the elog message"
33 You are right. This has been discussed a few times on -dev and
34 basically, it ain't going to happen. I think it is a good idea myself
35 since they have to be re-emerged for them to work anyway. What
36 difference does it make if portage does it for us or we do it manually,
37 after finding that command to find out which ones to rebuild.
38
39 Dale
40