From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 04:26:30
1 On Thursday, May 7, 2020 6:35 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 10:14 PM Caveman Al Toraboran
4 > toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > are you referring to python's dependence on expat
7 > > and glibc?
8 >
9 > More like bash's dependence. Well, and in the case of glibc just
10 > about everything. When those break you're basically stuck recovering
11 > from a rescue disk.
12
13 or have sash somewhere around?
14
15 > Fortunately we haven't had glibc/gcc break ABI in quite a while, and
16 > preserved-rebuild covers a lot of the other issues.
17 >
18 > In any case, if you have a solution other than statically building
19 > half the system I'm sure patches will be welcome. FWIW Gentoo is
20 > about as hassle-free to use as it has ever been. It isn't debian
21 > stable, and it is unlikely to ever be that way...
22
23 why not? surely not as a 1st step, but it's not
24 like 50% of the system apps are sacred or
25 anything.
26
27 imo right approach is this:
28
29 1. make portage statically linked. enjoy the
30 removed python inconveniences.
31
32 2. if the bottleneck of inconvenience becomes
33 bash's use glibc (a great milestone to
34 celebrate btw), then we see how to fix that.
35
36 3. a component at a time, we eventually approach
37 linux utopia.
38
39 ``step (1) is not a utopia yet'' is no excuse to
40 not start the journey of removing inconveniences.