From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage internals : shadow root
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:04:42
1 On 09/23/10 11:50:19, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 10:55 on Thursday 23 September 2010,
3 > Helmut
4 > Jarausch did opine thusly:
5 >
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > when portage installs a package, it first installs it into some
9 > "shadow
10 > > root". Then it records all files installed before it moves the
11 > files
13 > > the "real root".
14 > >
15 > > I have to do some installations on SUSE systems (which are not
16 > > administered by me) and I'd like to imitate that procedure there.
17 > >
18 > > Can anybody tell me if it's not too complicated and if yes, how to
19 > > achieve this (on a foreign system like SUSE).
20 > >
21 > > Many thanks for your help,
22 > > Helmut.
25 > 1. Remove all traces of yast and it's bastard brethren from the SuSE
26 > box.
27 > 2. Have three qualified sysadmins double check that you have indeed
28 > removed
29 > every last trace of it.
30 > 3. PREFIX=/some/stage/dir/
31 > 4. ./configure && make && make install
32 > 5. find /some/stage/dir/ > some_file
33 > 6. move everything in stage dir to real dir
34 >
35 > Why remove yast?
36 > Because it's a sneaky P.O.S. and goes to extraordinary lengths to
37 > nuke
38 > all
39 > your hard work done without it.
40 >
41 > And how you deal with file collisions is up to you. Yast really won't
42 > like you
43 > if you overwrite some config file with your own testing version.
44
45 Thanks Alan!
46 Unfortunately, I don't understand how this can work.
47 Simplify using PREFIX failed for me since many packages record the
48 full path for configuration/data/help files etc. in the generated
49 binaries or libraries.
50 When moving such an application/library it will still search for
51 those files in the build directory.
52 I would image Portage uses some sort of chroot (then the pathes are
53 identical)
54
55 Furthermore, I cannot remove yast since I'm only a "guest" on such
56 boxes.
57 Normally I'd use a PREIFX=/usr/local/<MYAPP> but some application
58 still install something into /etc/ or similar and I'd like to catch
59 these cases.
60
61 Helmut.