From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage internals : shadow root
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:18:11
1 > Thanks Alan!
2 > Unfortunately, I don't understand how this can work.
3 > Simplify using PREFIX failed for me since many packages record the
4 > full path for configuration/data/help files etc. in the generated
5 > binaries or libraries.
6 > When moving such an application/library it will still search for
7 > those files in the build directory.
8 > I would image Portage uses some sort of chroot (then the pathes are
9 > identical)
10
11 Impossible! Alan does not know how to compile? ;-) He's been up to early.
12
13 Have a look into the build.log and you find the answer:
14
15 make -j3 DESTDIR=/home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/texinfo-4.13/image/
16 install
17
18 So it's not configure but make who takes the temporary install directory.
19
20 PREFIX is indeed the final target.
21
22 Al