From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Packet Shaping
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:27:15
1 > Well, the problem is that limiting inbound traffic is absolutely
2 > unreliable. From the numbers given, I guess you're on DSL, right? (Just
3 > like me, BTW.) If you were on cable, well, there's not a lot you can do
4 > since the media is unreliable w/ regard to your share of it. But I
5 > think you're talking about stable bandwith. If you're not lucky, all
6 > those peers out there flood your inbound traffic line. You can't shape
7 > this on your side, it's absolutely an issue to be resolved on the DSLAM
8 > your DSL modem connects to. OTOH, those routers usually don't do very
9 > sophisticated packet inspection... So it's all about cutting expensive
10 > connections down very early. This is the even more true for
11 > applications that are somewhat hasty in changing their requested and
12 > incoming traffic. So first try cutting down the maximum even more. Take
13 > a few measures and see what is actually saturated: upstream or
14 > downstream. If it's in fact neither, it's a configuration issue.
15
16 It's actually my upload rate that's difficult to limit. That's not
17 inbound traffic right?
18
19 - Grant
20 --