From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Packet Shaping
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:41:17
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:00:04 -0700
4 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > > After a lot of testing, these numbers seem to give me the best
7 > > > performance as far as bittorrent download speed.
8 > > > How can that be? Is DOWNLINK my upload and UPLINK my download?
9 > >
10 > > Hm, usually not. Are you by chance shaping the internal (i.e. LAN)
11 > > interface on a router? Then, of course, it would make sense (except
12 > > from the fact that shaping your actual bottle neck, i.e. Internet
13 > > connection, would make more sense).
14 >
15 > Thanks a lot for that. I switched the interface to eth0 and reversed
16 > the DOWNLINK and UPLINK values.
17
18 :-)
19
20 > I switched to wshaper from wshaper.htb and now ssh and browsing seem a
21 > lot more responsive. Could that be because I'm missing something in
22 > my kernel that I need for htb? I don't get any errors when restarting
23 > the firewall.
24
25 I'm not sure about that. I did only try wshaper.htb and didn't manage
26 to fit it to my needs completely either (see below). The kernel
27 configuration help tells a good bunch of info, IIRC.
28
29 > One other thing is if I don't limit the upload rate within my
30 > bittorrent client, it really goes nuts and everything else suffers. I
31 > don't see how that's possible with UPLINK and the bittorrent source
32 > and destination ports defined.
33
34 Well, the problem is that limiting inbound traffic is absolutely
35 unreliable. From the numbers given, I guess you're on DSL, right? (Just
36 like me, BTW.) If you were on cable, well, there's not a lot you can do
37 since the media is unreliable w/ regard to your share of it. But I
38 think you're talking about stable bandwith. If you're not lucky, all
39 those peers out there flood your inbound traffic line. You can't shape
40 this on your side, it's absolutely an issue to be resolved on the DSLAM
41 your DSL modem connects to. OTOH, those routers usually don't do very
42 sophisticated packet inspection... So it's all about cutting expensive
43 connections down very early. This is the even more true for
44 applications that are somewhat hasty in changing their requested and
45 incoming traffic. So first try cutting down the maximum even more. Take
46 a few measures and see what is actually saturated: upstream or
47 downstream. If it's in fact neither, it's a configuration issue.
48
49 > What I'd really like to do is limit the bittorrent upload rate so
50 > Verizon doesn't throttle my connection. Can I do that with The Wonder
51 > Shaper without limiting the total upload rate? I don't trust the
52 > bittorrent clients I use to limit it.
53
54 Did you consider trickle? It's lightweight and easy and works on
55 application layer (i.e. usermode) by overloading glibc functions... If
56 you're not trying to manage a whole set of clients behind a router,
57 that would be an option.
58
59 And to be honest: I've dumped QoS on my linux-based router. I've never
60 managed to fully saturize my link the way I wanted it using it. I'm not
61 completely sure if I should blame it on the 125MHz the poor CPU's
62 running at (it's a WiFi AP, the Linksys WAP54g) or the 8MB of RAM...
63
64 -hwh
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list