From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Selective news?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 14:36:53
1 On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:27 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Then I went to my ~amd64 machine and looked for the same news item - and
4 > there was no sign of anything about either pulse or pipe. This machine has no
5 > working sound hardware, but even so, how did the news function know not to
6 > fetch that item?
7
8 From:
9 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/gentoo-news.git/tree/2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server/2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server.en.txt
10
11 Display-If-Installed: media-video/pipewire
12 Display-If-Installed: media-sound/pulseaudio
13 Display-If-Installed: media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon
14 Display-If-Installed: media-libs/libpulse
15
16 If you have any of those packages installed, the news will display.
17
18 We try to filter news so that users aren't bombarded by things that
19 aren't relevant to them. For example, a few weeks ago there was
20 apparently a corruption in the mu MUA (which I'd never heard of),
21 which would be really important to know about if you were one of the
22 0.001% of Gentoo users who rely on it.
25 Rich