From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Selective news?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 22:12:58
1 On Saturday, 30 July 2022 15:36:35 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > From:
4 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/gentoo-news.git/tree/2022-07-29-pipewire-soun
5 > d-server/2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server.en.txt
6 >
7 > Display-If-Installed: media-video/pipewire
8 > Display-If-Installed: media-sound/pulseaudio
9 > Display-If-Installed: media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon
10 > Display-If-Installed: media-libs/libpulse
11 >
12 > If you have any of those packages installed, the news will display.
13
14 But pulseaudio is installed, having been pulled in by plasma-meta; that's why
15 I was puzzled.
16
17 $ eix -Ic pulse
18 [I] media-libs/libpulse (16.1{xpak:2}@30/06/22): Libraries for PulseAudio
19 clients
20 [I] media-sound/pulseaudio (16.1{xpak}@10/07/22): A meta package for
21 PulseAudio (networked sound server)
22 [I] media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon (16.1{xpak:2}@30/06/22): Daemon component of
23 PulseAudio (networked sound server)
24 Found 3 matches
25
26 The only pertinent difference between the machines is that one is amd64, the
27 other ~amd64. Well, the ~amd64 box has no sound hardware, but apart from
28 that...
29
30 > We try to filter news so that users aren't bombarded by things that
31 > aren't relevant to them.
32
33 And it has worked well for me too until now.
34
35 > For example, a few weeks ago there was apparently a corruption in the mu MUA
36 > (which I'd never heard of), which would be really important to know about if
37 > you were one of the 0.001% of Gentoo users who rely on it.
38
39 Yes, I saw that, and no, I hadn't heard of it either.
42 Regards,
43 Peter.