From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 01:23:32
1 * Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hope you have the power to go that way far enough on your own until it
4 > becomes interesting for more people.
5
6 Well, let's see where it goes. I'll continue my work and it
7 seems that soon a few others might jump in.
8
9 > I did good progress with Gentoo on Cygwin this WE. 3 big packages are
10 > directly before me now: Python, Portage and GCC.
11
12 That'll be the most troublesome ones of all ;-)
13
14 > > Hey, wait a minute ... we were talking about OSS-QM, thats completely
15 > > different project. Briegel is a build system (somewhat similar to
16 > > portage, but yet quite different concepts behind), which just happens
17 > > to work smoothly w/ oss-qm.
18 >
19 > A build system needs sources and patches to build. So I think they are
20 > related.
21
22 I've designed the two projects so that they're independent from
23 each other, but just play very well with together.
24
25 OSS-QM repositories [1] are layed out in a way that it's trivial
26 to fetch specific version of the packages, and also allows separate
27 namespaces (prefixes) for individual distros (so they can push their
28 work directly to oss-qm w/o stepping onto other's feet).
29
30 > If your patch import system works, it can become very interesting.
31
32 Well, for Debian it already works quite well, Gentoo still is
33 unsolved, as I'm lacking information to construct the history.
34 (a little help from Gentoo devs would really be appreciated).
35
36 > You can run something similar to Gentoo without the need
37 > of a big community at the beginning. So you have all freedom to
38 > customize it just the way you want it.
39
40 Actually, I already *do* have something similar - by combination
41 of OSS-QM and Briegel. But yet only a few packages for certian
42 embedded targets.
45 cu
46
47 [1] http://www.metux.de/download/oss-qm/normalized_repository.pdf
48 --
50 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
51
52 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
53 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
55 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme