From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 22:48:09
2 > Just let the project grow. It does not require anyone jumping into
3 > it to stick with it for long time. All I'm proposing right now is
4 > adopt the model, which makes collaboration w/ other distros easier.
5 > It's something like an aggreement as FHS.
6
7 Hope you have the power to go that way far enough on your own until it
8 becomes interesting for more people.
11 > BTW: meanwhile I've build some automatic import mechanisms
12 > (unfortunately, this approach won't work well for Gentoo, as I
13 > don't have the fundamental data for it available, especially some
14 > deterministic mapping between upstream tarball and the patches
15 > to apply ... that probably would require some kind of fake-emerge)
18 I did good progress with Gentoo on Cygwin this WE. 3 big packages are
19 directly before me now: Python, Portage and GCC.
20
21 > Hey, wait a minute ... we were talking about OSS-QM, thats completely
22 > different project. Briegel is a build system (somewhat similar to
23 > portage, but yet quite different concepts behind), which just happens
24 > to work smoothly w/ oss-qm.
25
26 A build system needs sources and patches to build. So I think they are
27 related. If your patch import system works, it can become very
28 interesting. You can run something similar to Gentoo without the need
29 of a big community at the beginning. So you have all freedom to
30 customize it just the way you want it.
31
32 Al