From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 22:51:47
1 On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:54:25 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > Got it. So @preserved-rebuild is meant to be a replacement for
4 > revdep-rebuild
5
6 No, it is a means of preventing the problems that revdep-rebuild fixes.
7
8 If revdep-rebuild were a medicine, @preserved-rebuild would be a vaccine.
9
10 Which you choose to use depends on whether you prefer fixing broken
11 systems to avoiding them.
12
13 revdep-rebuild is an external program created to deal with a shortcoming
14 in emerge, that shortcoming was the lack of @preserved-rebuild. There may
15 be times when @preserved-rebuild fails, although they are becoming
16 increasingly rare, so revdep-rebuild is still useful as a fallback, but
17 the main reason I run it from my weekly system check script is as a
18 sanity check. It rarely finds anything.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Beware! The end is... <aaarrgh!>