From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 23:22:27
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:54:25 -0800, Grant wrote:
3 >
4 >> Got it. So @preserved-rebuild is meant to be a replacement for
5 >> revdep-rebuild
6 > No, it is a means of preventing the problems that revdep-rebuild fixes.
7 >
8 > If revdep-rebuild were a medicine, @preserved-rebuild would be a vaccine.
9 >
10 > Which you choose to use depends on whether you prefer fixing broken
11 > systems to avoiding them.
12 >
13 > revdep-rebuild is an external program created to deal with a shortcoming
14 > in emerge, that shortcoming was the lack of @preserved-rebuild. There may
15 > be times when @preserved-rebuild fails, although they are becoming
16 > increasingly rare, so revdep-rebuild is still useful as a fallback, but
17 > the main reason I run it from my weekly system check script is as a
18 > sanity check. It rarely finds anything.
23 That's been my experience too. I run @preserved-rebuild when it tells
24 me to but revdep-rebuild rarely finds anything. Thing is, it has a time
25 or two. It is best to run revdep-rebuild and be sure than not to and
26 run the risk of not being able to boot or some other problem that bites
27 you.
28
29 Sort of like a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. ;-)
30
31 Dale
32
36 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!