From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm in a Pickle
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 09:46:18
1 On Sunday 25 Dec 2011 19:28:35 CJoeB wrote:
2 > On 12/25/11 14:08, Dan Cowsill wrote:
3
4 > I can do this, but the computer isn't that old and up until today when I
5 > rebooted the computer by holding the power button, on reboot, the mouse
6 > and the keyboard worked fine.
7 >
8 > And although the computer is new, I've screwed the warranty because I
9 > removed Windows and there is only Linux on my computer.
10
11 It is worth noting for future cases like this that the warranty may not be
12 screwed up at all - unless the small print explicitly says so and even then
13 you may be still able to claim that they fix any hardware fault under the
14 warranty.
15
16 There was a woman who had removed the MSWindows OS from her new laptop and
17 when the keyboard failed the company that sold it to her refused to deal with
18 it without the original OS installed.
19
20 Eventually the company reneged and replaced the broken component.
21
22 http://linux.slashdot.org/story/07/03/27/1753218/hp-dishonors-warranty-if-you-
23 load-linux
24
25 I believe that there's more than one cases that this has happened, so removing
26 MSWindows may not nullify your legal consumer rights.
27
28 I do however as a matter of course retain the original installation just-in-
29 case and install Gentoo as a dual boot, if only to save myself the argument
30 with some poor idiot reading from a script on some service department in the
31 future. These days with massive hard drives there's enough space to keep both
32 OS.
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick