From: CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm in a Pickle
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 19:26:00
1 On 12/25/11 14:08, Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:colleen.beamer@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Happy Holidays, Everyone,
6 >
7 > To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know
8 > about an
9 > issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
10 > Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
11 > monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the
12 > monitor), the
13 > screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I
14 > can get
15 > the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
16 > button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.
17 >
18 > Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still
19 > had my
20 > KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
21 > anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The
22 > computer
23 > booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
24 > the mouse work.
25 >
26 > Any ideas?
27 >
28 > Regards,
29 >
30 > Colleen
31 >
32 > --
33 >
34 > Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter,
35 > http://counter.li.org
40 > When the screen locks, is it the whole computer? Can you do a CTRL+F7
41 > and get to a console?
42 When this happens, the screen is either black (cause the monitor has
43 gone to sleep), black, but I can see my mouse cursor and it will move
44 around if I move my mouse around, or I will have my KDE desktop, but
45 neither the mouse nor the keyboard will work.
46 >
47 > As to your current predicament, I would give a livecd a try and see if
48 > the keyboard and mouse work in that.
49
50 I can do this, but the computer isn't that old and up until today when I
51 rebooted the computer by holding the power button, on reboot, the mouse
52 and the keyboard worked fine.
53
54 And although the computer is new, I've screwed the warranty because I
55 removed Windows and there is only Linux on my computer.
59 Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org