From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm in a Pickle
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 19:09:57
1 On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Happy Holidays, Everyone,
4 >
5 > To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
6 > issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
7 > Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
8 > monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
9 > screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
10 > the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
11 > button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.
12 >
13 > Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
14 > KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
15 > anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
16 > booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
17 > the mouse work.
18 >
19 > Any ideas?
20 >
21 > Regards,
22 >
23 > Colleen
24 >
25 > --
26 >
27 > Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter,
28 > http://counter.li.org
33 When the screen locks, is it the whole computer? Can you do a CTRL+F7 and
34 get to a console?
35
36 As to your current predicament, I would give a livecd a try and see if the
37 keyboard and mouse work in that.
38
39 What I'm driving at here is that your problem may be hardware-related.