From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:58:43
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I ran across this news item about Google:
5 >
6 > http://alturl.com/s7xi5
7 >
8 > The long URL is below. I'm sort of getting to where I don't like Google
9 > since they seem to be doing things that I'm just not comfy with. Next
10 > they will want a camera on my rig so they can watch me surf. I found a
11 > search engine that may work. It is here:
12 >
13 > www.ixquick.com
14 >
15 > Does anyone have a better search tool? I don't like Yahoo either. I do
16 > like froogle so that would be a bonus. You know, shopping tool.
17 >
18 > Now to my next issue. I'm thinking about switching emails too. Yea,
19 > everyone on here knows my addy but I bet most can recognize my posts
20 > anyway. Plus, if the init thingy goes south, well, it happens. Anyway,
21 > what is a nice stable email account server that allows pop access,
22 > Seamonkey as the email program, that is not tracking everything or nosey
23 > as heck? Free would be nice but I would pay something inexpensive on a
24 > yearly basis if it is really good. I think Yahoo has this but ain't
25 > they sort of like Google already? Plus, I'm not sure how much longer
26 > Yahoo is going to last or make similar changes itself. I'm sort of
27 > getting tired of switching emails every time I switch ISPs or there is a
28 > policy change. That is why I switched to gmail in the first place. No
29 > matter what ISP I use, I can still use Gmail. Yet, here I am again.
30 >
31 > Thoughts? Suggestions?
32 >
33 > Dale
34 >
35 > :-) :-)
36 >
37 > Long URL just in case the shorty above doesn't work. It may be broken
38 > tho. Copy and paste alert.
39 >
40 > http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-tracks-consumers-across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html?wpisrc=al_comboNE_b
44 OK. This has gotten a LOT of replies with lots of interesting info. I
45 have another question along the same lines. What about using a VPN? I
46 been messing with tor and Firefox but if I try to watch a video or
47 something that has any length to it, it gets rather iffy. I found this:
48
49 www.vpn4all.com
50
51 I don't think it works with Linux but it was interesting to read about
52 just for the information. From my understanding, people can't read your
53 traffic and they can't tell anything about you as far as location. I
54 know google can do this because when I type in certain things, it all
55 comes up for local stuff. If I do the same in Firefox with tor turned
56 on, it gets rather weird. Stuff from Africa was showing up one time and
57 later on it looked like German stuff. When I checked my IP and did a
58 whois, it was in other countries.
59
60 What are thoughts on this sort of thing? Anything better than tor out
61 there? Am I getting paranoid or do people really watch us and collect
62 data on us? :/
63
64 Dale
65
70 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
71 how you interpreted my words!
72
73 Miss the compile output? Hint:
74 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"