From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 10:20:47
1 On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 09:53:24 AM Mick wrote:
2
3 > Have you been able to use Kmail2 reliably on a *laptop*? What problems have
4 > you experienced? Has intermittent network availability caused loss of
5 > messages? Any gotchas and workarounds? Any suggestions?
8 I have been using Kmail2 for a couple of years now (ever since it became
9 stable in portage)
10 I had some issues over this time as well, but as I had already switched over
11 to IMAP over 10 years ago, I never actually lost any emails and could easily
12 fix this by deleting the local file-cache and database.
13
14 Currently I run it on my laptop (quad-core, 16GB ram, SSD) succesfully.
15 Here is how I set it up:
16 1) Run Postgresql
17 2) I run the DB "natively" (eg. do NOT let akonadi start an "embedded" db)
18 3) Configure mail accounts (including GMail) as IMAP
19 4) Configure mail accounts to keep a copy locally
20
21 Apart from a lengthy synchronize period (I do have emails dating back to 1997
22 on the server) and occasionally a process going up to 100%, it doesn't prevent
23 me from actually using the laptop for other things.
24
25 As I take it along to customers as well, I am dependent on their WIFI systems.
26 These are not the best, eg. I have experienced networking issues a lot. Not
27 lost any messages and haven't had to restart the mail cache for a year now.
28 (Since I switched away from embedded Mysql to "native" Postgresql)
31 Joost