From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dialup + IPv6?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 04:58:19
1 On Thursday 13 April 2006 21:10, Sven Köhler <skoehler@×××.de> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] dialup + IPv6?':
3 > I'm facing many many questions. My friend is telling me, that in theory,
4 > i would be abled to use IPv6 addresses based on the 6to4-address of the
5 > IPv4 address of my ppp0 - but that changes every 24 hours.
6
7 Many of the free 4to6 tunnels will provide a /64 of IPv6 addresses that you
8 can assign arbitrarily. They also provide scripts to automatically update
9 your 4to6 tunnel's IPv4 address whenever you are assigned a new one.
10
11 > A MASQ-target seems not to be available for IPv6
12
13 Yes, NAT is not available in IPv6, nor is it needed.
14
15 > - so if my router
16 > disconnects/reconnets, all the computers in my LAN will have to change
17 > their IPv6 address.
18
19 Nope, you can use their MAC address to generate an IPv6 address that will
20 always be used for that device. You could /also/ assign the an address
21 out of the /64 space given to you by the tunnel broker.
22
23 IPv6 routers exchange routing information so you can use the same IPv6
24 address for a device no matter whose network infrastructure you are using.
25 That's one of the great things about IPv6.
26
27 > Has anyone ever tried to supply his homenetwork with IPv6 through a
28 > normal IPv6 connection?
29
30 I wanted to do it but never got very far.
33 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
34 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
35 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
36 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh