From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] setuid/setgid binaries, man-db security fix
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 01:51:11
1 This morning I was pointed at [1] (by reading [2]).
2
3 As far as I can see there has been no bug report about this in gentoo.
4 Should I file one now? It doesn't look like the fix can be easily
5 backported so probably it will just end up being merged with the rest of
6 the new version. But it may be worthwhile to mark it as a security
7 issue.
8
9 More generally, I'm wondering about set*id binaries in gentoo. If I
10 don't want/need the particular feature thus provided, can I simply turn
11 off the set*id bit? That's what [3] recommends, but what about
12 upgrades? When a new version of the package is emerged, will the set*id
13 bit be turned back on? Will I have to remember turning it off forever?
14 dpkg has a feature (dpkg-statoverride) where a local admin can force
15 permissions on files shipped in packages, and such overrides "stick"
16 even across upgrades. Is there anything similar for gentoo?
17
18 [1]
19 https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/man-db-announce/2016-12/msg00000.html
20
21 [2]
22 http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/blog/cve-2015-1336.html
23
24 [3]
25 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Security_Handbook/File_permissions
28 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
29 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
30 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html