From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setuid/setgid binaries, man-db security fix
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 02:05:17
1 On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 17:46:31 -0500,
2 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 >
4 > This morning I was pointed at [1] (by reading [2]).
5 >
6 > As far as I can see there has been no bug report about this in gentoo.
7 > Should I file one now? It doesn't look like the fix can be easily
8 > backported so probably it will just end up being merged with the rest of
9 > the new version. But it may be worthwhile to mark it as a security
10 > issue.
11 >
12 > More generally, I'm wondering about set*id binaries in gentoo. If I
13 > don't want/need the particular feature thus provided, can I simply turn
14 > off the set*id bit? That's what [3] recommends, but what about
15 > upgrades? When a new version of the package is emerged, will the set*id
16 > bit be turned back on? Will I have to remember turning it off forever?
17 > dpkg has a feature (dpkg-statoverride) where a local admin can force
18 > permissions on files shipped in packages, and such overrides "stick"
19 > even across upgrades. Is there anything similar for gentoo?
20 >
21 > [1]
22 > https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/man-db-announce/2016-12/msg00000.html
23 >
24 > [2]
25 > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/blog/cve-2015-1336.html
26 >
27 > [3]
28 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Security_Handbook/File_permissions
31 I suppose you could automatically run a shell script in the post
32 installation phase to fix the permissions. I need to do the opposite
33 for one of the sendmail binaries.
36 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
37 How do
38 you spend it?
39
40 John Covici